Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Memories that stick.

Recently after reading a few chapters of "Moonwalking with Einstein," i realized that there are ways to train your memory, some born with amazing memory, but what about the random things your mind decides to keep? I'm talking about those nagging songs that you just cant shake, or the seemingly useless facts that stay lodged in your mind. for example, why is it that my mind found the fact that there have been studies to prove that plants can scream? Or the notion that before a person has an aneurysm they smell burnt toast? Ironic, unfortunate, but somewhat comical, these are examples of things I wish were replaced by other items i deem worthy. In the first chapter Foer states " If memory is our means of preserving that which we consider most valuable, it is obviously painfully linked to our own transience." now i understand that he is talking about fending off mortality, but the part about what our mind deems valuable? that really chaps my hide. in a sense it makes me want to have a little chat with my brain, but its not like i could because it seems to be controlling the outcome of what it wants to remember instead of me. Now after saying this i realize my brain is me but sure as heck isn't wanting to cooperate. I have no use for the facts that a cuddle fish can is not really a fish or how its camouflage operates. And I really don't see the reason my mind needs to retain the fact that during a red tide you can write your name in the sand and watch it glow. all of these facts may seem fun or cool for a moment but I would rather be able to remember my kids Social security numbers. Or why is it I can barely recall my own phone number, yet can recite my telephone number from high school, that I had for a lot less longer and was last used 17 years ago. So if memory is persevering the most valuable, why is my head full of useless, trivial junk? something to ponder as I try to retrain my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment